Pesticides, whilst potentially harmful substances, are very successful and are widely used in land-based industries. Due to the harmful nature it is vital that they are only used by people who are properly trained in the safe use of pesticides.
Successful completion of PA1 is a prerequisite to progress onto PA6.
EQUIPMENT: Appropriate protective footwear (Wellington boots or water repellent boots with good grip are recommend).
Who is it for?
This course is designed for people who are involved in the storage, handling and application of pesticides using handheld equipment and maintaining handheld type sprayers.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive an NPTC Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Handheld Pesticide Application from City & Guilds.
This course is delivered over 2 days including assessment.
What will I learn?
- General safety and risk assessment
- Inspect and prepare the sprayer
- Types of nozzle and their use
- Reach and interpret the product label
- Check components for satisfactory operation
- Calibrating the sprayer
- Measuring and calculating area to be treated and quantities of liquid required
- Mixing liquids and filling the sprayer
- Environmental risk assessment
- Protection of the environment
- Operating techniques and applying pesticide
- Cleaning the sprayer and storage
- Keeping records
You will be assessed by an external and independent City & Guilds / NPTC assessors who will assess you by means of oral questioning and observation of practical tasks that you have undertaken during the training course.