All professional bus, coach or lorry drivers must complete 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep their Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) up to date.
Who is it for?
This course is designed for professional drivers.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive a JAUPT approved Driver CPC certificate for the module and hours completed.
This course is delivered over ½ day.
What will I learn?
Your Job, Your Vehicle, Your Safety:
- Relevant Health and Safety Legislation
- Workplace safety procedures
- Who is responsible for workplace safety
- Who enforces Health and Safety
- Weight limits of vehicles
- Maximum lengths and heights
- Load distribution
- Vehicle stability
- Practical means of preventing falls
- Getting in and out of the cab safely
- Keeping reversing to a minimum and controlling it
- Reversing aids including using a Banksman
- The importance of correct signals
- Safety of the Banksman
- Risks associated with tail lifts
- Safety checks
- Controlling the unloading area
- Operating tail lifts safely
- Fitness to Drive (Drugs, Alcohol and Tiredness)
- Harmful Substances
- The danger of shedding loads and shifting loads
- Load securing techniques
- Using securing equipment
- Using handling equipment
- Specific loads: Livestock; Food; Hazardous goods; Waste; Freight containers
- Vehicle body types
- Load type
- Defect category
- Injury statistics and the cost to industry, the NHS and the individual
- Types of injury at work: Acute; Chronic; Diseases
- The causes of injury
- Manual Handling Regulations 1992
- Health & Safety Regulations 1999
- The structure of the back
- The correct lifting procedure
- MHOR guidance
- Lifting zones and weight limits
- The 6 point drill
- Risk factors: The load; The individual; The task
- The environment
There is no formal assessment for this course