All professional bus, coach or lorry drivers must complete 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep their Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) up to date.
Who is it for?
This course is designed for professional bus, coach or lorry drivers.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive a JAUPT approved Driver CPC certificate for the module and hours completed.
This course is delivered over 1 day.
What will I learn?
UK weather – the four seasons, driving techniques needed in:
- High winds
- Rain and spray
- Ice and black ice
Your view, your safety
- Windscreens and wipers
- Windscreen wiper blades
- Wing mirrors
- Safety checks
- Use of ABS
- Auxiliary braking systems
- Tyre condition and pressure
- Wheel alignment
- Lights, markers and reflectors
- Vehicle specific equipment
- Route planning
- Sources of information and advice
- Survival kit
- Rest stops and breaks
- Getting stuck
Defensive Driving Techniques
- Road signs
- Highway code
- Responsibilities of HGV & PCV drivers
- The importance of all round observation
- High and low risk driving attitudes
- Speed limits and what can lead to speeding
- Route planning before a journey
- Correct road positioning
- Anticipating manoeuvres
- Consideration for cyclists
- Approaching junctions
- Box junctions
- The danger of blind spots
- Rural driving including passing horses
- Traffic light sequences and filters
- Level crossing countdown markers
- Road studs
- Stopping distances and the factors that affect them
When seat belts must be worn, exemptions and the potential consequences of not doing so.
There is no formal assessment for this course.