All professional bus, coach or lorry drivers must complete 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep their Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) up to date.
Who is it for?
This course is designed for professional bus, coach or lorry drivers.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive a JAUPT approved Driver CPC certificate for the module and hours completed.
This course is delivered over 1 day.
What will I learn?
Defensive Driving Techniques
• Road signs
• Highway code
• Responsibilities of HGV & PCV drivers
• The importance of all round observation
• High and low risk driving attitudes
• Speed limits and what can lead to speeding
• Route planning before a journey
• Correct road positioning
• Anticipating manoeuvers
• Consideration for cyclists
• Approaching junctions
• Box junctions
• The danger of blind spots
• Rural driving including passing horses
• Traffic light sequences and filters
• Level crossing countdown markers
• Road studs
• Stopping distances and the factors that affect them
• When seat belts must be worn, exemptions and the potential consequences of not doing so
Fuel Saving Driving
• The potential for reduced cost and increased profits
• The London Low Emission Zone and Euro VI engines
• Benefits to the company
• Benefits to the driver
• Qualities required of the driver
• Tyres, tyre pressure and wheel alignment
• Aerodynamic aids
• Bodywork and curtains
• Fuel tank and fuel leaks
• Rolling resistance
• Consequences of under and over inflated tyres
• High gears, low revs
• Block changing
• The importance of momentum
• Junctions and hazards
• Going uphill and downhill
• Avoiding unnecessary braking
• Use of exhaust brakes
• Reducing road speed
• The dangers of tail-gating
• The cost of engine idling and when to turn it off
• The consequences of over filling the fuel tank
• Avoiding early morning manoeuvring
There is no formal assessment for this course.